Water plays an important role for the plants in the garden. The vast majority of plants do not tolerate water stagnation. The proximity of ground waters lead to oppression and rotting of the root system of trees and shrubs. In the water-logged areas are formed moss and mold. If in your garden is a retaining wall or fence with a deep foundation, it can prevent the drain of water.
Drainage – a special system of underground channels, which reduces the water level, perform its removal from various structures and dries soil for the normal cultivation of crops on it. For example, if the water table is at a depth of 1.5 m or closer to the surface of the ground – soil drainage is needed. And if in your garden are paths, playgrounds and other facilities where the rain water accumulates – you need a storm water drain.
There are two types of drainage: open and closed. Open drain consists of a plurality of open channels which are apart by a certain distance. These drainage systems allow quickly to get rid of the harmful effects of groundwater. But the open drainage system is not the best effect on the appearance of your garden, so they are used rarely.
Main applications of drainage:
drainage of agricultural land, gardens, landscaped areas;
- drainage of the carriageways, sidewalks;
- withdrawal of excess water from the soil and other sewage systems;
- moisture protection of landscape structures – walls, hills, slopes, terraces and artificial reservoirs;
- moisture protection of building foundations;
- accumulation, evaporation and distribution of the collected water into the soil.